THE GALACTIC SENATE

The official forum of the sg_starwars mailing list. We are now also at www.facebook.com/GalacticSenate
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:29 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:59 pm
Posts: 6
Disclaimer: Before you read ahead, these are my personal comments for the AoSW exhibition. I made a trip down today (1 Apr 06), and I must say it did not live up to my expectations. If you are fanboy, and really don't want to hear frank, honest and unbiased comments, I suggest you go somewher else.

Essential Props Missing
While I will commend AoSW for bringing in about half of the essential stuff (e.g. Darth Vader, "Imperial" Star Destroyer, Mon Calamari Cruiser, Lightsabers, etc.), BUT a lot of essential props are simply missing.

So what was missing? Let's see...
1) No Anakin Skywalker / Obi-Wan Kenobi costumes (the 2 most important guys in PT!).
2) No Han Solo / Princess Leia / Luke Skywalker costumes (the 3 most important characters in OT!)
3) No Yoda (ok, this is my personal preference... I wanted to see YODA!!!)
4) No Executor aka "Super" Star Destroyer (how can you not have Vader's flagship?)
5) No Death Star (how can you not have the iconic power of the Empire's might?)
6) No AT-AT (how can you not have the iconic ground unit in all of Star Wars?)
7) Not much vehicles/ships from PT era, missing models include Venators, Accamators, Jedi Fighters (both variants from AOTC and ROTS). Fine, there were *small* models, but those were hardly noticeable and most were not even coloured.
8 ) Lack of big models. Except the "Imperial" Star Destroyer and Mon Calamari Cruiser... nothing.

Technical Errors
Spotted several technical errors, which I think is really very un-professional. Turns off a real Star Wars fan like me.

I spotted a few display errors (probably mismatched props to their labelling)...
1) There was this drawing of the Old Republic Juggernaut Vehicle (the four-wheeled vehicle you see in ROTS in the Battle of Kayshhk). Unfortunately, it's label was talking about the AT-AT.
2) There was a description for the Separatist Trifighter Droid (I think it was one of the space droids we see in ROTS), unfortunately, the model on display was that of a Separatist Supply Droid.

And a few technical terms were wrong too...
3) The "Imperial Star Destroyer" you see at the entrance. For the last time, the correct terminology is Imperator-class Star Destroyer not "Imperial Star Destroyer". Thanks to exhibitions like these, the fallacy of "Imperial Star Destroyer" will continue for years to come!
4) The "Mon-Calamari Transport" you see on display. Actually, the correct term is a Mon Calamari CRUISER. Since when did the Rebel Alliance's most important and powerful warship turn into a measly transport? Yes, it was originally used as luxury liners before the war, but since then it has been converted to a Military CRUISER.

TWO Trivia Questions were distinctively wrong too...
5) One question asked which TIE model had 3 solar panels. Options were TIE Fighter, TIE Interceptor, TIE Bomber and TIE Defender. The "correct" answer according to the trivia game is TIE Fighter. Ok since when did the TIE Fighter has 3 solar panels? Just look at a pic on the TIE Fighter on display:
Image
(For the record, I chose TIE Defender, which should be correct considering the options. Technically, the TIE Defender has 6 solar panels, but it has 3 "points" branching off it's cockpit, which is the closest reasoning I came up with).
6) Another trivia question showed a scene of Darth Vader getting ready to speak to Palpatine in TESB. The video clearly showed the Executor moving out of the asteroid field. The question asked was, on which ship did Darth Vader made the communication to Palpatine. Options were Imperial Star Destroyer, Star Battlecruiser (something like that) and 2 other options which we wrong. The "correct" answer according to the trivia game is the Imperial Star Destroyer which is absolutely wrong! (For the record I chose Star Battlecruiser, because it's description was the closest that fitted Vader's flagship).

And, the biggest mistake ever... A model of the "Death Star" on display.
Please refer to the picture below. Does that "hairless rambutan" look alike even remind you of the Death Star? I've seen Star Wars so many times, I can safely say that is NOT the Death Star. It does not have spontaneous "growths" on the surface, and even the superlaser is missing!
Image
Image
Now, this is a real pic of the Death Star as reference:
Image

Well, apart from the errors here and there (some of which were very obvious and irritating), the exhibition was generally OK. Nothing outstanding I would say... very sadly. But worth $18? Maybe.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:21 pm
Posts: 162
Location: North @ Singapore
Rommie2k6 wrote:
Disclaimer: Before you read ahead, these are my personal comments for the AoSW exhibition. I made a trip down today (1 Apr 06), and I must say it did not live up to my expectations. If you are fanboy, and really don't want to hear frank, honest and unbiased comments, I suggest you go somewher else.

Essential Props Missing
While I will commend AoSW for bringing in about half of the essential stuff (e.g. Darth Vader, "Imperial" Star Destroyer, Mon Calamari Cruiser, Lightsabers, etc.), BUT a lot of essential props are simply missing.

So what was missing? Let's see...
1) No Anakin Skywalker / Obi-Wan Kenobi costumes (the 2 most important guys in PT!).
2) No Han Solo / Princess Leia / Luke Skywalker costumes (the 3 most important characters in OT!)
3) No Yoda (ok, this is my personal preference... I wanted to see YODA!!!)
4) No Executor aka "Super" Star Destroyer (how can you not have Vader's flagship?)
5) No Death Star (how can you not have the iconic power of the Empire's might?)
6) No AT-AT (how can you not have the iconic ground unit in all of Star Wars?)
7) Not much vehicles/ships from PT era, missing models include Venators, Accamators, Jedi Fighters (both variants from AOTC and ROTS). Fine, there were *small* models, but those were hardly noticeable and most were not even coloured.
8 ) Lack of big models. Except the "Imperial" Star Destroyer and Mon Calamari Cruiser... nothing.

Technical Errors
Spotted several technical errors, which I think is really very un-professional. Turns off a real Star Wars fan like me.

I spotted a few display errors (probably mismatched props to their labelling)...
1) There was this drawing of the Old Republic Juggernaut Vehicle (the four-wheeled vehicle you see in ROTS in the Battle of Kayshhk). Unfortunately, it's label was talking about the AT-AT.
2) There was a description for the Separatist Trifighter Droid (I think it was one of the space droids we see in ROTS), unfortunately, the model on display was that of a Separatist Supply Droid.

And a few technical terms were wrong too...
3) The "Imperial Star Destroyer" you see at the entrance. For the last time, the correct terminology is Imperator-class Star Destroyer not "Imperial Star Destroyer". Thanks to exhibitions like these, the fallacy of "Imperial Star Destroyer" will continue for years to come!
4) The "Mon-Calamari Transport" you see on display. Actually, the correct term is a Mon Calamari CRUISER. Since when did the Rebel Alliance's most important and powerful warship turn into a measly transport? Yes, it was originally used as luxury liners before the war, but since then it has been converted to a Military CRUISER.

TWO Trivia Questions were distinctively wrong too...
5) One question asked which TIE model had 3 solar panels. Options were TIE Fighter, TIE Interceptor, TIE Bomber and TIE Defender. The "correct" answer according to the trivia game is TIE Fighter. Ok since when did the TIE Fighter has 3 solar panels? Just look at a pic on the TIE Fighter on display:
Image
(For the record, I chose TIE Defender, which should be correct considering the options. Technically, the TIE Defender has 6 solar panels, but it has 3 "points" branching off it's cockpit, which is the closest reasoning I came up with).
6) Another trivia question showed a scene of Darth Vader getting ready to speak to Palpatine in TESB. The video clearly showed the Executor moving out of the asteroid field. The question asked was, on which ship did Darth Vader made the communication to Palpatine. Options were Imperial Star Destroyer, Star Battlecruiser (something like that) and 2 other options which we wrong. The "correct" answer according to the trivia game is the Imperial Star Destroyer which is absolutely wrong! (For the record I chose Star Battlecruiser, because it's description was the closest that fitted Vader's flagship).

And, the biggest mistake ever... A model of the "Death Star" on display.
Please refer to the picture below. Does that "hairless rambutan" look alike even remind you of the Death Star? I've seen Star Wars so many times, I can safely say that is NOT the Death Star. It does not have spontaneous "growths" on the surface, and even the superlaser is missing!
Image
Image
Now, this is a real pic of the Death Star as reference:
Image

Well, apart from the errors here and there (some of which were very obvious and irritating), the exhibition was generally OK. Nothing outstanding I would say... very sadly. But worth $18? Maybe.


Total agree with you, but not the part on: No Anakin Skywalker / Obi-Wan Kenobi costumes, as they did have but not 100% the same. Besides They should have ankins mech fore arm with the drawings.

_________________
"If you strike me down, I will be more powerful than you think!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 10:23 am
Posts: 421
Lots of Trivia questions were wrong. One hinted Chewbacca was blue.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:27 pm
Posts: 655
Location: Grips Central
I won't defent the exhibition in any way because yes, I'd have like to have seen more stuff on display, but I also understand why certain things weren't there or can't be there.

And I won't argue your other points, because I was there to see what's there and not scrutinise what's not. And I never read labels because if its in the SW movies, I already know all I need to know about it. For those who don't know what it is and need to read the labels then it makes no difference if the label is wrong.

And I gave up long ago trying to tell people the correct name or terminology for things I hold dear, especially since there're still countless people who think Darth Vader is call 'Dark Vadar', or Sith Lord is spelled 'Sit Lord'. Ok I know why they think Darth is spelled 'Dark', but its still no excuse.

What I would like to clarify is your following statement:

Rommie2k6 wrote:
And, the biggest mistake ever... A model of the "Death Star" on display.

Please refer to the picture below. Does that "hairless rambutan" look alike even remind you of the Death Star? I've seen Star Wars so many times, I can safely say that is NOT the Death Star. It does not have spontaneous "growths" on the surface, and even the superlaser is missing!
ImageImage
Now, this is a real pic of the Death Star as reference:
Image

Like I said I don't read labels, so I don't know if the label for this 'hairless rambutan' describe it as the 'DEATH STAR', or if the label offer any further information about this item.

What I do know is that this 'hairless rambutan' is a conceptual Death Star that made it to the model stage, but never made it into the film. So in a sense, it IS a DEATH STAR, abeit one discarded at the concept stage.

There were other conceptual models on display, such as this Y-Wing:

Image

And this Star Destroyer:

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:44 am
Posts: 712
Location: United Federation of Planets
I agreed with Plo Strax-Avix.

AoSW is focusing on the Artwork, to be precise, Concept Arts as well.

I suggest u go and buy the AoSW Deluxe Book, there are more explanations on the displays.

_________________
May the Force Live Long & Prosper ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:54 am
Posts: 2408
Location: Pisces Temple
Okay, for a start, please be reminded that when The Art of SW Exhibition opens, there are THREE other exhibitions that had opened in OTHER countries:

1) Dressing A Galaxy: The Star Wars Costumes Exhibition (FIDM, Los Angelas)
So there comes majority of the costumes

2) The Science of Star Wars (Boston, USA)

3) "That SW Exhibition" in Paris (someone please correct me about the name of the exhibition).

Of course, throw in that the fact that the Exhibition came DIRECTLY from Japan's last location so what LFL release there, came to Singapore. So anything SSC was given had been put out for display and nothing was held up.

Just to carify some things off my head:

Rommie2k6 wrote:
1) No Anakin Skywalker / Obi-Wan Kenobi costumes (the 2 most important guys in PT!).


Errr.....so who are those in the Episode 3 Area surronding ROTJ Emperor Palpatine? :? Mace Windu and some random Jedi? :shock:

The last I check the Whinner and Liar were still there. :wink:


Rommie2k6 wrote:
2) No Han Solo / Princess Leia / Luke Skywalker costumes (the 3 most important characters in OT!)


Lots gone to FIDM and some maybe to Paris I heard.


Rommie2k6 wrote:
3) No Yoda (ok, this is my personal preference... I wanted to see YODA!!!)


So do many other visitors.

Anyway, Yoda is probably too damaged to go out of USA (the ESB latex one is) or sent to the Paris or just Lucas don't want the ROTJ or TPM Puppet to travel in order to emphasize the CG Yoda in AOTC & ROTS?


Rommie2k6 wrote:
7) Not much vehicles/ships from PT era, missing models include Venators, Accamators, Jedi Fighters (both variants from AOTC and ROTS). Fine, there were *small* models, but those were hardly noticeable and most were not even coloured.


Duh! :roll: Mr. Lucas insisted on using Maqutte and making his CG people work hard sooooo make small, small model, 3D Scanning and a buncha fellow will spend the next couple of months adding details, coloring it digitally and add into the film. 1 Jedi Fighter can use for Anakin, Obi-Wan etc etc......more economical.

Back then for the OT, Maqutte means "Prototype" but now starting slightly with TPM, Maqutte means "Actual Item Used In Film" with the introduction of 3D Scanning and CG.

Rommie2k6 wrote:
TWO Trivia Questions were distinctively wrong too...
5) One question asked which TIE model had 3 solar panels. Options were TIE Fighter, TIE Interceptor, TIE Bomber and TIE Defender. The "correct" answer according to the trivia game is TIE Fighter. Ok since when did the TIE Fighter has 3 solar panels? Just look at a pic on the TIE Fighter on


I stopped arguing about the Trivial Questions a long time ago as the final verdict out of the Horse's Mouth was:

It was directly taken from the SW Trivial Persude(sp?) Game and they only put nice, nice framing around it.

Ya, ya, Chewbacca is Blue, there are 4 instead of 5 AT-AT in the Video, Luke & Vader Video from ESB (correct is ROTJ), Yoda conforted Count Dooku on Kamino etc etc etc.

As for the label, well, it also came directly from Japan and was told to be like that. :?


Anyhow, it was already as privilage for us to be able to see some of the SW Stuffs instead of having to travel to USA, Europe to see them, so personally, I have to take what we get to see as there are some things are beyond our control.

Anyone to his or her own opinions..... :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:50 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 4:30 pm
Posts: 884
Location: singapore
all in all the existence of sw exhibition are meant for general crowd interest and despite all the mistakes made and observed at the exhibits...i think we should count ourselves fortunate enough to still have the exhibits host in singapore instead of travelling all the way to japan or korea to find out its worthiness ...at least one thing i know is worth for sure that the kids are enjoying themselves and for the rest of us these is a good opportunity for gathering...nothing is perfect not even ourselves so just be positive..and enjoy as a fan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:21 pm
Posts: 162
Location: North @ Singapore
Well, I have to say ,accept what ever is given you.

_________________
"If you strike me down, I will be more powerful than you think!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:06 pm
Posts: 245
Location: Western Singapore
If there are no mistakes made, imperfections, mislabeling, missing exhibits... then true fans would have no fun in pointing it out :{P

_________________
Trust me princess~


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:30 am
Posts: 90
Location: Galactic Citizen
SoloFalcon wrote:
If there are no mistakes made, imperfections, mislabeling, missing exhibits... then true fans would have no fun in pointing it out :{P


Now isn't that a true statement! :D

_________________
@}--,-----


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:59 pm
Posts: 673
welll i think a TRUE fan can NEVER be satisfied...they will pin point and nit pick..coz they are true fans...

_________________
"In my books; Experience outranks everything"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:05 pm
Posts: 1893
It's quite difficult ah. Given that exhibtions happen at the same time in other countries... :?

Yea, some prequel stuff i anticipated weren't there..hint hint ..clones...

But still, it's a once in a lifetime experience in Singapore. It may not happen to have another of such great exhibitions around.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 638
Location: Dantooine
You must not forget, that the exhibition or any exhibition are unlikely to be set up by the fans. It would be set up by someone who knows very little and care very little.

_________________
Find, fix, finish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:47 pm
Posts: 137
Location: Coruscant
lhs1701 wrote:
You must not forget, that the exhibition or any exhibition are unlikely to be set up by the fans. It would be set up by someone who knows very little and care very little.
...and just wants to make money.

I'm not saying this is the case in Singapore, but it happens. Deal. At least we got to see some stuff.

I agree with DE about lack of exhibits. There are currently a few other major exhibitions held around the world. You can't expect that every exhibit ever in SW would be in Singapore. They'll have to be divided and split among the exhibitions. I personally would love to go see FDIM. If I'm not wrong that's where most of the costumes are. AOSW has more art I guess... Still, it's Star Wars, and while I may not get to see everything I wanted to, at least I got to see something. :)

_________________
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither
Deep roots are not reached by the frost


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 3:37 pm
Posts: 327
I have no complaints :)

been dreaming about stuff like this happening locally since mid 80s. This is a big step for us....future looks bright & hope this will open new doors for more events like this one.

Im just glad that my kids dont have to wait 20++ years to get to experience this :)

_________________
* You should be more concerned with character than reputation because character is who you are, while reputation is merely what others think.

=PATIENCE HAS IT's REWARDS=


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
© 2012 starwars.sg. All rights reserved.

Our forum is used by fans and members of the public and the statements, comments, or opinions expressed by users through use of the forum are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not represent the views of the webmasters .

If any material, including images, that is copyrighted is inadvertantly posted at the forum, please contact the webmasters and we will remove the material with IMMEDIATE effect , with apologies .

This fansite is not affiliated with or endorsed by Lucasfilm Ltd. or Twentieth Century Fox and is intended for entertainment and information purposes only.
We do not profit from the running of this site , which is our tribute to George Lucas and Star Wars. Be sure to visit the Official Star Wars site at www.starwars.com.

All audio, visual and textual content on this site (including all names, characters, images, trademarks and logos)
are protected by trademark rights, copyrights and other rights owned by their respective owners.

STAR WARS® is a trademark of Lucasfilm, Ltd.
Lucasfilm™ is a trademark of Lucasfilm, Ltd.