THE GALACTIC SENATE

The official forum of the sg_starwars mailing list. We are now also at www.facebook.com/GalacticSenate
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:28 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:57 am 

I heard obiwan saying to vader during the duel that 'if u strike me down, I will be more powerful'

Later when Luke arrives, Obiwan purposely let Vader hit him with the lightsabre, and he vanishes or die??

Why was obiwan purposely being 'killed' by vader??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:27 pm 

for him to become one with luke??

haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:59 pm 

this is my view but is subjective to discussion

1. to divert attention and draw the guarding troops at the falcon away to make way for luke and the gang ( personally, i don; understand why the troopers just run to their lord vader and cho Bo but just gather around the fighting scene and the force tell me they either keng or just want a free show to watch :P )

2. obi wan knew and forsee he has deal with vader since their last duel in ep3 which vader then anakin curse that he will take revenge and knew their destiny will be met

3. obi wan knew his time is up just like old folks who knew when their time is up and he forsee the scene and remember in ep2 during the chase of the assassin into the nite club, he mentioned to anakin that he don; understand why he has always been thinking that his death will be caused by anakin.

4. obi wan forseen luke might be the only hope strong enough to do a standoff to his father vader.

my only questions, why when qui gon was killed by darth maul, it didnt happen to him that he become the spirit like what yoda and obi wan did.
since he too is jedi master

Post subject: Sympathetic Guildance
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:33 pm 

hi

:twisted: He is smart enough to use the skill he has learned from yoda, to become a spirit, a guiding force to Luke. He does not want to make the same mistake twice with anakin. Forceful guidance is the mistake he has made. With luke, he prefer a more sympathetic way of teaching.

He mediates, like Qui-Gon, before he get struck down by Vader.

My 2 cents worth.

Andrew
Trooper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:49 pm 

may be beucase Luke will be the only jedi to over take vader?

http://geekgirlgummygalimatias.wordpress.com/
https://www.facebook.com/neotokyoproject

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:43 pm 

Location: Clonetrooper Land - Where the clones troopers roam free
Well remember the green short yoda who told obi wan about quigon discovering life after death?

It makes them stronger, they cant be destroyed wif lightsabers or stuff. They can harm u(proberbly) but you cant touch them .

And he can be anywhere,everywhere,anytime.. like he appeared in dagobah, hoth ,endor without needing a transport :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

What I want to know is when QuiGon Jin was struck down by Darth Maul, why didn't he disappear and become a spirit ? His body had to be burnt on a bonfire ( ok, I know that term is wrong, but for the life of me, I can't remember the correct term ! LOL )

I remember George Lucas saying that all would be explained in EPIII, but it wasn't , was it ? Did I miss something ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:19 pm 

Location: Clonetrooper Land - Where the clones troopers roam free
danchia wrote:
What I want to know is when QuiGon Jin was struck down by Darth Maul, why didn't he disappear and become a spirit ? His body had to be burnt on a bonfire ( ok, I know that term is wrong, but for the life of me, I can't remember the correct term ! LOL )

I remember George Lucas saying that all would be explained in EPIII, but it wasn't , was it ? Did I miss something ?

George is telling us to buy the DVD when its out... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

e3lipse wrote:
danchia wrote:

Aaaaarrrrgh .... are you sure ? Grrrrrrrr.... :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:29 pm 

danchia wrote:

Well, he did explain it in a way. Remember how Yoda told Obi-Wan that Qui-Gon has discovered a way to exist after death? Well, he didn't disappear when he was struck by Maul because at that point in time, his knowledge of the Force was not enough to make him disappear on the spot.

From this point on of this discussion it's only speculation; during the time when Qui-Gon was dead, he probably discovered that being one with the Force doesn't mean that he has lost his individuality and consciousness. He found himself being everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Perhaps that was why he could see Anakin killing the Tusken Raiders and when he cried out in anguish, Yoda could hear him. From that moment on, Qui-Gon realises that he could still communicate with the living.

So the next few years, Yoda and Qui-Gon was slowly able to establish communication. Apparently, this state is only achieveable by Jedis who are able to totally give up everything and that includes his or her own physical self. That's why Obi-Wan disappeared when he was struck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:17 pm 

What he said above - agree.

From maybe from Obi-Wan's point of view, when he can become the glowing spirit he was indeed more powerful than Vader can possibly imagine because Vader never even knew that this power existed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:59 pm 

danchia wrote:
e3lipse wrote:
danchia wrote:

Aaaaarrrrgh .... are you sure ? Grrrrrrrr.... :x

:( LOl. dun be angry... i think what lucas meant was the conversation btween obi and yoda aboard tantive 4 dat u can find out. There yoda said he would teach obi how to communicate with qui-gon who, incidentally had returned n found the secret to immortality. So, there must be a force sanctuary like there is a heaven for earth. So qui gon had learned the secret and then returned to tell yoda. Qui gon ws probably with them always, but no one knew how to communicate with him or he did not know enough about immortality to become a spirit yet. He had only been dead for 16 yrs between EP1 and 3, wheras Ben was trained by qui gon in immortality for 19 yrs btween EP3 and 4,so he had a lot more tme to practice!!! :lol: Anyway, i hope you see my point...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:39 pm 

pujangga wrote:
danchia wrote:

Well, he did explain it in a way. Remember how Yoda told Obi-Wan that Qui-Gon has discovered a way to exist after death? Well, he didn't disappear when he was struck by Maul because at that point in time, his knowledge of the Force was not enough to make him disappear on the spot.

From this point on of this discussion it's only speculation; during the time when Qui-Gon was dead, he probably discovered that being one with the Force doesn't mean that he has lost his individuality and consciousness. He found himself being everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Perhaps that was why he could see Anakin killing the Tusken Raiders and when he cried out in anguish, Yoda could hear him. From that moment on, Qui-Gon realises that he could still communicate with the living.

So the next few years, Yoda and Qui-Gon was slowly able to establish communication. Apparently, this state is only achieveable by Jedis who are able to totally give up everything and that includes his or her own physical self. That's why Obi-Wan disappeared when he was struck.

There you go. Obi wan mediated aat Tattooine all his retiring days and can become the One With The Force. Kinda cool stuff there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:09 am 

Commander Faie wrote:
pujangga wrote:
danchia wrote:

There you go. Obi wan mediated aat Tattooine all his retiring days and can become the One With The Force. Kinda cool stuff there!

But I remeber from one part of EU afte ep 6, obi-wan's "ghost" never appeared before Luke. So what happens after that. Whats happen to obi-wan or yoda ... so on. Hmmm.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:09 pm 

In Heir to the Empire, Obi-Wan appeared to Luke one final time to say good-bye. Apparently. he has been lingering around too long already & will soon need to journey frm this world to that which lies beyond. And since it's only been 9 years after his death, it would seem that Qui-Gon Jinn managed to linger around longer (more than 13 yrs) than Obi-Wan, teaching both him & Yoda the path to immortality.